I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Vegan Beurre d'Ail

[Vegan Garlic Butter]

...I was actually surprised that I'd not made this simple flavored butter before...Julia says that it's best to pound the garlic in a mortar...but that you can use a garlic press but the result won't be as good...
...the recipe calls for 2 to 8 cloves of garlic...I'm going with the lesser amount for now...we'll see...I can always go back and add more later...
...first you boil the garlic unpeeled...
...and then you peel it and boil it again...
...then you pound it in a mortar and pestle to a smooth paste...
...add it to your vegan butter...I used Earth Balance...
...and mix well...Julia says you can add salt and herbs...I didn't add any salt because the Earth Balance is already salty...and I'm using this for garlic bread so I also didn't add any herbs...
...just sliced a baguette...
...and slathered on some vegan garlic butter...
...ran it under the broiler until nice and brown...
...and it really is perfect...2 cloves of garlic make a nice mild flavor...definitely garlic-y...but not overpoweringly so...

Substitutions

Earth Balance for butter

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 101)

1 comment:

  1. Well that was simple! And I bet it was much better than my version - butter with garlic powder sprinkled over the bread....love, K

    ReplyDelete