I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Vegan Sauce Tartare

[Hard Yolk Mayonnaise]

...well...if I had known that Julia had a Tartar Sauce recipe...I'd probably have made it before now...she calls it Hard Yolk Mayonnaise...but it is essentially what we Americans know as Tartar Sauce...which we generally eat with fish...or vegan fish...as the case may be...
...so I made some vegan egg yolks...
...and then mashed them up again...
...and Julia says to get them perfectly smooth you need to pass them through a sieve...so I did that too...
...and then she also says that you shouldn't make it in the electric blender as it gets too thick...but I thought I'd try the stick blender as I have good luck with it with my regular vegan mayo...
...then you chop up some pickles and capers...I used sweet and dill both for the pickles...
...and then you twist them up in a towel like we do with the mushrooms...to get the liquid out...
...and then I just whisked that into the hard yolk mayonnaise...
...and it made a perfect tartar sauce...
...so of course we had it with vegan fish...these are the Gardein ones...
...and it was absolutely perfectly delicious...

Substitutions: Vegan egg yolks for the egg

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 90 - 91)

1 comment:

  1. Good idea about squeezing out the liquid. I'll have to try that since my dressings sometimes are to watery.

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete