I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

VEGAN COQ AU VIN

[Vegan Chicken in Red Wine, with Onions, Mushrooms and Vegan Bacon]

...now doesn't Coq au Vin sound nicer than that...Julia gives a few more names for it...and says that we should serve it with potatoes and peas...perfect...
...so you start with some vegan bacon...
...and then you dry some tofu and add that...
...then a little cognac...
...pour that in and stand back...
...and strike a match...I missed the poof...
...add some wine...
...and some vegan bouillon...
...then some garlic...
...bay leaf...
...and thyme...and let that cook for 25 minutes or so...
...and then Julia specifies 18-24 pearl onions...for VEGAN OIGNONS GLACÉS À BRUN...
...and you cook those slowly...
...until they are lightly browned...
...deglaze with some vegan brown stock...
...and add an herb bouquet...I put the herbs in my teaball...
...add the onions to the vegan chicken...
...and some VEGAN CHAMPIGNONS SAUTÉS AU BEURRE...
...ooops...I was supposed to add this before the cooking time...so I'm adding some tomato paste now...but it really goes after the thyme above...
...so I cooked that another 20 minutes or so...
...it smelled divine...
...then I strained out the liquid...
...blended some Earth Balance and flour into a smooth paste...
...and added that to the liquid...bring it to a simmer and stir for a minute or two until thickened...and then put everything back in the pot...
..served with potatoes, peas and French bread...
...the perfect comfort food...
...it's so delicious...

Substitions

TVP ham for the bacon
Tofu for the chicken
Earth Balance for the butter

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 263 - 265)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was complicated. Looks delish! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing. I'll probably never make it, but I am sad I didn't have dinner at your house when YOU did! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete