I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Vegan Carottes à la Forestière

[Braised Carrots with Artichoke Hearts and Mushrooms] ...so after we got home Easter...
...we had a proper Easter Sunday Dinner...complete with Ham Seitan...fancy sides...and a pretty dessert (more on that in a minute)...
...first you sauté the mushrooms in some oil and Earth Balance
...then you add the shallots...
...and the cooked artichoke hearts...
...and then Julia has you add the mushroom, onion, artichoke mixture to the VEGAN CAROTTES ÉTUVÉES AU BEURRE...
...but since the next step is to add stock and boil it slowly...
...I thought it made more sense to add the carrots the pan with the mushrooms, onions, and artichokes...
...so that's what I did...
...then added some brown stock...I used Washington's Rich Brown Seasoning and Broth...
...let that cook for a few minutes...until it's almost completely evaporated...
...then turn it into a hot vegetable dish...
...we had our fancy carrots with some Ham Seitan...spinach and a salad...
...this is really, really delicious...more so than I would have expected...

Substitutions:

...subs from the VEGAN CAROTTES ÉTUVÉES AU BEURRE
Earth Balance for Butter
Washington's Rich Brown Seasoning and Broth for the brown stock

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 477-478

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! So, what's been your favorite recipe so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole,

      I loved this one...it was so surprising and different...I find a new favorite all the time...

      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete