I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Vegan Poulet en Cocotte Bonne Femme

[Vegan Casserole-roasted Chicken with Bacon, Onions, and Potatoes]

Julia says "This is an all-in-one dish where bacon and vegetables are cooked with the chicken and each item takes on a bit of flavor from its neighbors"...which is pretty much the definition of casserole cooking...
...the first step is to boil your bacon...so what am I doing with the Earth Balance in the casserole...
...just getting it ready for step #2...which is to sauté the vegan bacon after it's boiled...

...so melt some Earth Balance in your casserole dish...
...then boil your vegan bacon for a few minutes in water...I used some of the bacon I got from the SDA store in NC...but Bacos are easy to find and vegan...
...drain your vegan 'lardons'...
...then sauté the vegan bacon in the Earth Balance...
...I'm just using plain baked tofu as a sub for the roasting chicken...
...next step...boil some pearl onions...drain and set aside...
...boil some potatoes...making sure they're fairly uniform in size...sorry for the blurry pic...
...and sauté them in the casserole in a little bit of Earth Balance...Julia explains that this step is to evaporate their water and keep them from sticking to the casserole...
...then spread the potatoes aside...salt the tofu and place it in the center of the casserole...
...make an herb bouquet...which I did in my tea ball...
...and place it on top of the tofu...
...then put your onions and vegan bacon over the tofu-chicken, potatoes, and herb bouquet...
...Julia says to baste with a bulb baster using the butter from the casserole...I'm using some vegan broth instead...
...heat until sizzling...then cover - Julia says with aluminum foil...but I used my pretty glass lid...
...place it in the middle of the oven for an hour or so...basting once or twice...
...Julia says no sauce is necessary...
...this was really delicious...creamy and full of flavor...
...there are a lot of steps for this casserole...and I'm wondering if it would be (almost) as good if you just threw everything into the casserole at once...ahem...but that wouldn't be the Vegan Version of MtAoFC way now would it?...

Substitutions:

Earth Balance for the butter
Baked tofu for the roasted chicken
Vegan Bacon for the bacon - Bacos are vegan
...and I also used some vegan broth for basting...but you can just use more Earth Balance...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 252-253

No comments:

Post a Comment