I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

VEGAN CAROTTES ÉTUVÉES AU BEURRE

[Carrots Braised in Butter]

This is a really simple and delicious dish...

...Julia calls for peeled, sliced carrots - but I cheated and opened a bag of baby carrots...

...all you do is bring the carrots to the boil with water...

...Earth Balance...

...and sugar..."to develop their flavor" - Julia says...

...and a little bit of salt...

...and some pepper - which I was skeptical about as I usually don't pepper my carrots...

...boil slowly for 30-40 minutes...

...until the liquid is all evaporated...

...in my pretty little Philbe dish...

...it turned out that the little bit of pepper was OK...

...they were delicious served with the 'liver'...

Substitutions:
only Earth Balance for the Butter

Recipe here:

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Hey is that a nutcracker pepper mill? Super cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those carrots look really good... gotta try that! LOVE the nutcracker pepper mill!

    ReplyDelete