I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, September 6, 2010

VEGAN L'OMELETTE BROUILLÉE

[Scrambled Omelette]

I decided to tackle another one of Julia's Egg recipes - I'll be revisiting the Poached Eggs soon - but today I wanted to try an Omelette...

...I gathered my 'egg' ingredients and set to work mixing them up...

Vegan Egg Omelette

1 box silken tofu
1/4 cup soy milk
1 T soy protein powder
2 T nutritional yeast
2 T besan (chickpea flour)
1 t tahini
1/2 t salt
1/4 t turmeric powder
1/2 t onion powder

blend together


...then get some butter (Earth Balance) going in a skillet...I should note that Julia suggests using a special omelette pan - and although I love me some kitchen gadgets - I don't posess an omelette pan - so I used my favorite non-stick pan ...

...I poured in about 1/2 cup of the vegan egg mixture...

...I scrambled the 'egg' using a table fork as Julia suggests...

...since I didn't have an omelette pan - I couldn't follow her instructions for the 4-5 sharp blows to the handle to make the omelette curl onto itself...

...so when it was set - I just folded it over...

...popped it onto a warmed plate...

...rubbed the top with some Earth Balance...

...and dug right in...I ate most of my omelette standing here beside the stove as I made a couple more for the boys...

...it was so good and a perfect start to our Holiday...

Substitutions:
Vegan 'Egg' Mixture - see recipe above
Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe link for Julia's Omelette here:

2 comments:

  1. wow, CRAZY! I love the Julia Child-the Vegan way idea. My husband and I are vegetarians, we find going vegan VERY hard (though we know, for health reasons, it's better for you).
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I do love the smocks! If you're handy with a sewing machine, I highly recommend the pattern!
    Sarah M

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! i just found your blog and i'm amazed. i want to try everything but i'll start with this.
    what's the soy protein powder for? can i leave it out?

    ReplyDelete