I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Thursday, May 13, 2010

VEGAN OEUFS POCHÉS

[Poached Eggs]

I've been a little bit intimidated by all of Julia's egg recipes - most involve poached eggs...

...but I was determined to make a vegan version of even eggs...

..they were nothing short of incredible - just like real eggs - jiggly and soft - with a slightly firm 'yolk'...

...first I thought about the white part (now I've never really eaten poached eggs - so I'm going mostly on what I've observed) - it should be slightly gelatinous and jiggly - but firm enough to cut...

...and it should be white - so I mixed about 1/2 cup of soy milk (it's white) with about 1/2 cup of water - 1/2 teaspoon of agar agar and 1/2 Tablespoon of corn starch - just cooked until it starts to thicken...

...now, on to the 'yolk' - it should be slightly firm and a little bit starchy feeling - so I thought of a potato to fill that role...

...I just mashed it up with a little bit of turmeric (for some yellow colour) about 1 teaspoon of Earth Balance and a sprinkle of salt...

...mix until uniform...

...form into little 'yolk' shaped balls...

...then I needed some egg shaped forms - and I found a couple of spoons that I thought would work...

...I added a layer of the white gel and then popped the 'yolk' in the middle...

...and spooned on a little bit more of the 'egg white'...

...then I made my little croustades...

...see how perfect these eggs look - glistening and wiggly - I slid it off the spoon onto the croustade...

...topped it with some Mayonnaise Verte...

...and see - it cut perfectly...

...and the first bite was - well - delicious...

...and so were all the bites...

...it was a perfect brunch - and I'll definitely be making 'eggs' again...

...I made a little video to show you the cutting and how perfect these 'eggs' were...

I hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we did.

Substitutions:
well - the entire egg was a substitute and I used Earth Balance on the croustades instead of butter...

16 comments:

  1. You are very creative! I would have skipped the egg part not knowing how to recreate eggs. I was never a fan of eggs, but I am sure your eggless eggs were divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. You've got me here now (for the giveaway) ;-) I agree with VeggieAmanda. You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I was completely fooled at first glance! The potato was a gem of an idea for the yolk. I do think eggs taste of very little anyway, it needs the mayo to get it 'going'.

    Congratulations of the result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Even though I'm not vegan and I'll probably never try it (well I should never say never)... this is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that is amazing- YOU are amazing- I have always admired the dedication it takes to be a vegan- I agree with the reason but am just too comfortable in my ways to do it-
    I just got on your blog and so am wondering do your little ones eat a strict vegan diet as well?
    Really nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very impressive! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok so when is your cookbook going to be published? I need to add this on the list of things I must try, breakfast is always my most boring meal of the day. Maybe on a lazy weekend morning...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teehee! That looks delicious, as sound all of the vegetable ingredients (I'm counting the soy bean as a vegetable here) you used to make these eggs. As a former Idahoan, I especially applaud your use of potatoes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is so amazingly innoventive! Awesome job thinking about it and pulling it off.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant!! And very, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Question: How long have you been Vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am coming to your place for dinner. What time should I arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is incredible! So very clever and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey buddy, i love those foods..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was scared at first when I read this because I am so incredibly clueless about any and everything vegan but I seriously thought they were real eggs at first! that's incredible!

    ReplyDelete