I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, May 24, 2010

Vegan Gâteau Fourré à la Crème d'Orange

[Spongecake with Orange-butter Filling]

This is a a rich buttery pudding-like filling for the Gâteau à l'Orange...

...you start by grating another orange peel...

Then put a bunch of butter (Earth Balance) in a pan...

...with a bunch of sugar...

...some EnerG egg replacer and some orange juice...

...cook and stir until thickened...add the orange zest...

...place pan in a cool water bath and continue stirring until cool...

...prepare your cake - Julia suggests cutting a little notch in the cake so that you can re-align it later...

...slice the cake in half...

...remove the top layer to a cake rack...

...pour on the cooled filling...

...spread evenly...

...re-align the top...a recipe for Buttercream frosting actually follows this recipe - but I thought that would just be too too much - I'm probably wrong about that though - but anyway I decided to go with just a dusting of powdered sugar - one of Julia's suggestions...

...I looked for a pretty doily but couldn't find one so I just criss-crossed some skewers to make a pretty pattern...

...an sprinkled on some sugar...

...removed the skewers...

...cut the cake...

...and served...

...this was so delicious with with tea - and very very rich...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for butter
EnerG egg replacer for eggs

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks delicious. I love using citrus zest in recipes. I love the asymmetrical artistic design on the top... so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Searching for the recipe I found this!!!

    http://www.marmiton.org/Recettes/Recette_gateau-a-l-orange_12524.aspx

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks fantastic. And love what you did with the skewers!

    ReplyDelete