I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

VEGAN MOULES AU BEURRE D’ESCARGOT / MOULES À LA PROVENÇALE

[Vegan Mussels on the Half Shell, Gratinéed]

...Julia says these are delicious as a first course...
...so...I got out my vegan half-shells...haha...aren't they cute...
...and I made my go to taste-o'-the'sea broth...just nori sheets and water...
...and I found some regular firm tofu...which is a better texture for fish-y dishes than the extra firm...although I couldn't really even say that I know what 'texture' actual living breathing mussels are...
...cut the tofu into little mussel-y shapes...I think...and popped them into the simmering broth...
...while they were simmering...I mixed up the beurre d'escargot...
...just smashed together Earth Balance, parsley and finely shallot...
...then added some panko bread crumbs...Julia suggests fine white breadcrumbs...and I also added the nori from the broth for even more flavor-o'-the-sea...and just smooshed it into the topping...
...placed a little vegan mussel on each vegan half shell...
...and covered with the topping...
...put them on a baking tray...
...and ran that under the broiler until the topping was golden brown and crispy...
...served with a white wine...and a little fork...haha...
...oh my goodness are these little amuse-bouches delicious...I mean...really really good...my bouche was definitely amused...
...so delicious...definitely need to make these again...



Substitutions

Earth Balance for the butter
Tofu for the mussels simmered in a broth with nori sheets

Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 228-229

1 comment:

  1. This looks soooo good! And you made it so cute! With all the "decorum"! Tchin!

    ReplyDelete