I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Vegan Suprêmes de Volaille aux Champignons

[Vegan Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Cream]

...this is just a variation of the VEGAN SUPRÊMES DE VOLAILLE À BLANC...
...you start with some green onions and vegan butter...or shallots...which I almost never have on hand...
...add some fresh mushrooms...either sliced or diced...the Man diced these...
...add a vegan chicken breast of some sort...mine is a seitan one using the Compassionate Breast recipe from Tracy at A Vegan for Dinner...the blog is not around anymore...but you can find it on the Wayback Machine...

...so all I had to do was get one out of the freezer...but I think baked tofu would work well in this recipe too...

...you're supposed to 'cook' the chicken in the mushrooms and butter...but mine was already cooked...so I just sautéed it a bit...
...then covered it with buttered paper and put it into the oven...
...when you take the casserole (I used a cast iron skillet though) remove the Suprêmes to a dish while you make the sauce...
...you can add some stock here if you want...or some wine...I seemed to have 'enough' stock left from the cooking...so I just added some homemade almond cream...but you could use any vegan cream...
...stir in the cream...
...and bring to the boil...
...until thickened...
...you're supposed to pour the sauce over the Suprêmes...but I thought this was a prettier presentation for the table...and I'll pour the sauce over as I serve...

...as my sweet SIL used to say...'presentation is everything'...it's not though...wink...
...we had these creamy Vegan Suprêmes with peas and mashed potatoes...
...really...really a delicious meal...I'd definitely make this again...

Substitutions

Vegan Butter
Vegan Chicken for the Suprêmes
Almond cream for the cream...or some other cream of your choice...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 269)

3 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks like a winter meal! I know you're just waiting for cool weather.... Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. A creamy mushroom sauce over (and under) seitan... this is just perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looks fabulous, i am out of vital wheat gluten and often go into Bristol to get some, but with Covid-19 i haven't ventured far (other than the supermarkets), so don't know when i may get my hand on some. So for now will admire this comfort food.

    ReplyDelete