I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

VEGAN QUICHE AUX OIGNONS

[Onion Quiche]

...Julia doesn't give any description of this recipe...as it's really a sub-recipe of the main Quiche recipe...but the proportions of the eggs and cream are a little bit different...

...and I also didn't want a crust...so I made it in muffins without the crust...they turned out perfectly...I may never do a pastry crust for quiche again...HA!...only kidding...I really like a pastry crust...
...gathered my 'egg' ingredients...a combination of garbanzo flour (besan), EnerG egg replacer, and Vegan Egg...
...got my onions cooking over low heat (very low)...they have to cook for about an hour...
...then I mixed up my vegan eggs...I mixed besan and EnerG to an egg-y consistency for one egg and then added the Vegan Egg mixed according to the directions for the second egg...
...added cashew cream for the cream...
...and kala namak for the salt...I did not add any nutmeg...not a fan...
...continued cooking the onions...
...added some flour when they were golden...
...and cooked a few minutes more...
...greased a muffin tin with Earth Balance...since I'm not using a pastry crust...
...added some grated Daiya to the egg mixture...
...and then added the onions...
...spooned it into the muffin tin...
...sprinkled some more Daiya on top...
...dotted with Earth Balance...
...and baked until puffed and browned...
...they're so cute...
...and just look at that crust...perfect...
...they were delicious with some spinach and french bread...
...perfectly delicious...no need for a crust...
...and y'all have already seen how well these little guys travel as I took them up to Mom's for Thanksgiving brunch...

Substitutions

Earth Balance for the butter
Cashew Cream for the cream
EnerG, Vegan Egg, and besan for the eggs
Daiya Cheese for the cheese

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 150-151

1 comment: