I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Vegan Navets Persillés

[Parslied Turnips]

This recipe is just the VEGAN NAVETS À L'ÉTUVÉE...with the addition of some parsley...

...Julia says that yellow turnips or rutabagas as they are commonly called here...are almost unknown in France 'as food for humans'...I'm guessing that means they feed them to their animals...but she says you can use them interchangeably...

...Scout definitely prefers the sweet yellow turnips to the stronger flavored sometimes peppery purple and white variety...
...we just boiled the turnips (rutabagas) for a really long time until the water was almost completely evaporated...
...then added some more Earth Balance and a generous sprinkling of chopped parsley...

Substitutions:

Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 487

4 comments:

  1. Neat! I've got a bag of turnips from Granny. Funny how we have the same thing going often!

    ...and I thought a rutabaga was a slightly different root veg...

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have picked up a Turnip for our veggie Christmas plate, but I confess I don't like them much as a savoury - preferring them in cakes - a bit like carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make a cake with the Turnip in the New Year and let you know.

      Delete
  3. Confusion here as we call these swedes! Ate them lots as a child and a Christmas dinner must. They come in my organic vegetable box from time to time.

    ReplyDelete