I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Vegan Gratin Savoyard

[Vegan Scalloped Potatoes with Meat Stock and Cheese]

...so this is the second recipe under the master recipe for GRATIN DAUPHINOIS that I've done and I've not yet done the master...see Vegan Gratin Jurassien...

...and y'all know that I do love my potatoes...and this is definitely a rich and hearty potato dish...
...so I started following the master recipe by peeling some potatoes...
...and slicing them 1/8 inch thick...
...placed them in a dish of cold water...
...and rubbed the casserole with a clove of garlic...
...and then Earth Balance...
...drained the potatoes and dried them...
...and then started layering them in the casserole...
...with grated cheese...this is Daiya Swiss...
...grated pretty finely...with a parmesan grater...
...the slices were kind of fiddly to grate...
...then poured over the boiling stock...
...I used some more of the vegan beef stock from the SDA store in North Carolina...
...then popped the casserole into the oven...my finely grated cheese mostly melted and I didn't think that was a very pretty cheese-y presentation...
...so I sprinkled a little bit thicker shred of Daiya cheese on top...
...and put it back in the oven for a few minutes...
...served with some seitan stew...and mixed veg and a salad...
...it was so good...
...hearty...beefy and creamy...delicious...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for the Butter
Vegan beef stock

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking
p. 524

No comments:

Post a Comment