I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, September 12, 2011

Vegan Petits Pois Étuvés au Beurre

[Buttered Peas II - for large but tender fresh green peas]

I've been picking fresh peas from the garden again...

...and hoping that they meet Julia's criteria for this recipe...large and tender...

...I love her somewhat condescending comment that they are 'the kind you usually find at your market'...

...they don't appear to be too large...

...sort of medium sized really...

...but we dropped them into boiling salted water...

...and boiled uncovered for about 5 minutes...

...then we drained them and put them back into the pan with some salt...

...pepper...

...and a little bit of sugar again...about 1/2 Tbs this time...

...add a bunch of Earth Balance - Julia says 6 Tbs...

...cover and cook about 10 minutes (seems too long to me)...tossing occasionally...

...Julia suggests adding mint as an 'optional English touch', but I did not...

...they were very good...as fresh peas always are...especially coated with Earth Balance...a little over done for my taste...but still very good and we ate them all up...

...a really simple recipe...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 463-464

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I love fresh garden peas, no matter the size, as long as they aren't old and hard.

    ReplyDelete