I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, September 5, 2011

Vegan Haricots Verts à la Crème

[Creamed Green Beans]


...I've been back to the garden and picked some lovely fresh green beans...now they're all washed and stemmed and ready to go...

...blanch them first...

...in some salted water for 3-4 minutes...

...then drain them and put them back into the pan to evaporate their moisture...

...toss with salt and pepper...

...and some Earth Balance...

...and pour in the cream...I used homemade soymilk thickened with some powdered soymilk...but you can certainly use a vegan cream if it's available and not too sweet...

...Julia says to cover and boil for 5 minutes or so...until the beans are tender and the cream is reduced by half...but after 5 minutes my beans were probably tender...but I couldn't tell that the cream had reduced at all...so I boiled mine about 5 more minutes with the lid off...

...turn into a hot vegetable dish, sprinkle with parsley and serve...

...still not sure my 'cream' reduced enough...but these were very good...as most things covered in cream are...and it was a very simple recipe...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for Butter
Soymilk mixed with soymilk powder for the cream

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 445

3 comments:

  1. We've been eating (and freezing) so many beans! This is a yummy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how very pretty! oh, and the potatoes looked like love-in-a-bowl!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm.... loving your vegan versions of all these French veggie dishes and all their beautiful colour. Also, I keep telling Mr Mommy en France (a Frenchman and true carnivore) about your blog and I've been sneaking vegan dishes on to his plate at least once a week for a while now.

    ReplyDelete