I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Sunday, December 19, 2010

VEGAN COULIS DE TOMATES À LA PROVENÇALE

[Vegan Fresh Tomato Purée with Garlic and Herbs]

Julia says this is a thick, concentrated tomato sauce with real Mediterranean flavor...

...start with some onions...cooked in oil slowly for 10 minutes...

...until tender but not browned...

...add some flour...

...then stir in some tomatoes...add some saffron...a small pinch...

...I made my tea ball bouquet garnis with parsley, thyme some fennel, basil and coriander...and the bay leaf and dried orange peel I tossed in separately as they are easy to remove later...

...finish up with some salt pepper and sugar...Julia also says to stir in some tomato paste if you need the colour - mine was bright enough without it...

...we served this with the Omelettes Gratinées à la Tomate...so very good...

Substitutions: None - one of the few vegan recipes I've come across...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 78

No comments:

Post a Comment