I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Saturday, November 26, 2011

VEGAN CANETON RÔTI

[Roast Duckling]

...we had our little Thanksgiving celebration a little bit later because we celebrated the actual day with friends...

...I had the day off on Friday so after we got our tree up I decided we should celebrate with another Yuba duck recipe...

...I used the same procedure as before to make the yuba...and really once you have that done...it comes together pretty quickly...

...some of the instructions about the handling of the dead body are quite gruesome...

...first you place your vegan duck in a roasting pan...and sprinkle on the herbs and some salt and pepper...

...then you strew some vegetables around it...carrots and onions...donchajusluv the word 'strew'...how often do you get to use that word...

...pour on some brown stock...

...I used Washington's Rich Brown Seasoning and Broth...

...of course you don't have to worry about medium rare or any such thing...just roast until everything is heated through and the vegetables are done...

...then add the 'optional' port...I definitely recommend adding this...you cook off the alcohol and it just adds another layer of flavor...

...mash up the vegetables...

...and stir in some Earth Balance right before serving...

...taste and correct seasoning...

...pour into a gravy boat...

...and pour some over the roast...

...slice and serve...

...we had ours simply with some plain steamed rice...

...and fresh peas...

...this was so (SO VERY) good...tender and a little bit chewy...the sauce was delicious...as all of Julia's sauces are...we really enjoyed it...and if I could get ready made yuba...I might make it a little more often...

Substitutions:
Vegan Yuba Duck for the duckling
Vegan Brown Broth for the Stock
Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 274-275

1 comment: