I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Vegan Carottes aux Fines Herbes

[Braised Carrots with Herbs]

...Wow...sorry to be away so long...just busy...

...but I pulled these carrots from my little garden back in September...

...brought them home and washed them up...

...and stored them in my fridge...

...I'm amazed at how long carrots keep...and they're just as fresh and sweet and crisp as when they were picked...

...still I'm going to be making some carrot dishes and use them all up soon...

...peel the carrots...of course...

...I turn the carrot about 1/4 turn after each cut to get pretty assymetrical shapes...but I'm sure they're just as pretty sliced...

...put them in a pot...with a little bit of sugar...

...some Earth Balance...

...here they are after they've cooked for about 30 minutes...I know that seems like a long time...they're certainly tender at this point...

...then boil off the remaining liquid...

...toss with the fresh parsley...and some more Earth Balance...

...pour into a hot vegetable dish...

...and serve...

...this is really just the VEGAN CAROTTES ÉTUVÉES AU BEURRE with the addition of some parsley...Julia says you can also add chives or chevril...but I don't like onion-y things with my carrots...so I only added parsley...

...the dish is quite nice and pretty and colourful...but I preferred the plain braised carrots...that may be because I only had Italian Parsley and it seemed a bit strong with the sweet and delicate carrots...

Substitutions: Earth Balance for Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 477

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it would make a good side dish for a Thanksgiving feast

    ReplyDelete