I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, February 13, 2012

Vegan Haricots Verts à la Provençale

...I know you all thought that I had dropped off the face of the earth...but I've not...I've just moved from ND to WV...there's a standing joke around here that I can only live in states with directions in them...HA!...In the last ten years I've moved from NC to SC to ND to WV...kinda funny...

...so now I'm in a completely new kitchen...freshly unpacked and sorted...so I kinda know where everything is...and I intended to do one of Julia's spectacularly complicated recipes...but alas...it was suppertime and I needed a nice side dish...and fresh green beans are readily available here...all the time...

...you start with some sliced onions...

...and as usual...you cook those in some olive oil until translucent but not browned...

...then you add some chopped tomatoes...

...cook and stir...

...add some of the reserved tomato juice...

...and an herb bouquet...I used my tea ball to hold the herbs I'd be discarding...the tarragon and parsley are just added to the sauce...

...then add your blanched green beans...

...and cook for a few more minutes...until the green beans are tender...most of the liquid should have evaporated by now...mine had...but Julia says to raise the heat and boil off rapidly...tossing the beans...

...it was dark so sorry for the artificial light...the dish looks very Christmas-y with it's red and green...so I may file it away and make it again then...

...the dish was fine...but I do think that this is not the best way to cook tender fresh green beans as they are really overpowered by the zesty sauce...they're just sort of lost...and you really could have just as well used frozen...in fact Julia suggests this recipe as one that would work well with frozen green beans...


Substitutions: None...YAY!

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 447

No comments:

Post a Comment