I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Saturday, January 22, 2011

VEGAN RÔTI DE PORC POÊLÉ

[Casserole-roasted Pork]


...we had an amazing seitan roast for dinner...

...first I made the seitan:

Vegan Porc Roast

1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon Vegan Beef bouillon
1 tablespoon Vegan Chicken bouillon

...Just mix that all together and knead into a roast shaped thingy...


...then you're ready to begin with Julia by browning the roast in oil...

...turn to brown all sides...

...remove the roast to a casserole...

...and in the same oil that you browned the roast add some sliced onion and carrots...

...cover and cook slowly for a few minutes...

...with an herb tea-ball (or you can put your herbs in cheesecloth as Julia suggests) and a bay leaf...

...then put everything in the casserole...

...cover and cook about 1 1/2 hours...I was so sorry that I broke my lovely covered casserole that was a wedding gift...but the Man got some hi-temp epoxy and fixed it up - not pretty - but still functional...

...this is what the roast looks like after 1 1/2 hours...

...I added some white wine - but Julia says you can add (vegan) broth or water too...and let that cook a little while longer...

...Julia says to mash the vegetables into the sauce - but I didn't I plated them with the roast...but you boil the liquid down to make a sauce...

...it was so very pretty...

...and it smelled so very good...

...we just had slices with a little of the sauce poured over - I didn't thicken the sauce like a gravy - just boiled it down so it was concentrated but still pretty liquid - I'd say if you wanted it more like gravy you could add some flour or arrowroot powder...

...served with some peas and carrots and some buttered (with Earth Balance) pasta wheels...and some of the delicious roasted veg from the casserole...

...it made quite a warm and hearty dinner...

...delicious!...

Substitutions:
Vegan Porc Seitan for the porc

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 380-381

1 comment: