I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegan Pâte Sablée

[Sugar Crust]

This is another supporting recipe for the TARTE AUX POIRES À LA BOURDALOUE...

...start by adding 7 tablespoons of chilled fat to the flour and sugar - Julia says to use 5 Tablespoons of butter and 2 of shortening - but I used all Earth Balance...

...Julia says to rub the fat and dry ingredients together quickly with your fingers...not sure why we can't use a pastry fork...but oh well...

...add your egg replacer...I used EnerG this time...

...add some vanilla and mix well...it makes a sticky dough...

...so Julia suggests that you press the chilled dough into a flan ring - but I don't have one so I rolled mine out between two sheets of waxed paper...

...peeled back the top layer...

...pressed the dough into my pretty quiche dish...

...and peeled back the bottom layer of waxed paper...

...baked until golden brown...

...this is really like a great big sugar cookie...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for the Butter
EnerG Egg Replacer for the egg

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 633-634

3 comments:

  1. How amazing! How do you make your flax eggs, particularly, how is it that they've come out clear??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marrisa,

    I posted links in the article - but here's a link to a good explanation - I used whole flax seeds and strained them to get the clear goo!

    ~Affectioknit-ly,

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://theveganversion.blogspot.com/2010/08/clafouti-aux-mures.html

    ReplyDelete