I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, January 17, 2011

VEGAN ORANGES GLACÉES

[Glazed Oranges - a cold dessert]

...I had several oranges left from our Christmas basket and thought they'd go perfectly with our brunch...

...start by removing the skin with a vegetable peeler...

...then cut the peels into strips...

...and simmer in water for a few minutes...

...then cut off the bottom so that the orange will stand still...

...and peel away the white part...

....Julia says if you prefer sliced oranges...I thought a whole orange would be too difficult to eat with a fork and a knife...

...to slice them horizontally...

...and then to re-form them in the serving dish...I'm using individual serving cups - but I think this would be pretty served in - say - a white quiche dish...

...strain your peels...

...and dry them on paper toweling...

...sugar and water in a saucepan...

...bring to a boil - it needs to get to the firm ball stage - 244⁰ F (118⁰ C)...

...drop the blanced peel into the syrup and boil a moment or two...

...spoon over the oranges and chill until serving time...

...so pretty and somehow wintry...

...really they were perfect - the boys loved the stringy syrup (but not the peels) - which was a nice complement to the tart oranges...

...A simple dessert - I highly recommend it...

Substitutions: NONE - Aha! a Vegan dessert!

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 629

2 comments:

  1. ha! wonder how often julia does a vegan dish?

    looks yummy and perfect timing for a winter desert.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of this, but it looks so elegant and seems so simple. I bet the rind tastes so rich with the orange. How lovely!

    ReplyDelete