I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

VEGAN SOUFFLÉ DE SAUMON

[Vegan Salmon Soufflé]

...spoiler alert...

...another attempt at a vegan soufflé...not bad...it tasted good...but the texture was more like a muffin than a soufflé...
...Julia uses a large 6 cup souffle mould...but I'm going to use Mom's old bean pots...we actually used these when I was little and I'm trying to use the thins that I have been keeping all these years more often...
...buttered with Earth Balance...and I grated some Chao vegan cheese...
...and sprinkeld that over the EB to line the cups...
...finely mince a green onion...you only need a couple of tablespoons....
...and for the vegan salmon I'm using the Vegan Lox that I've made before from carrots...
...saute the onion...
...add some flowers...
...some tomato paste...Julia says "for colour"...
...I also added some caper brine...it adds a nice flavor to vegan fish-y things...
...some Kala Namak (black salt) for some vegan egg-y flavor...
...and this time...instead of whipping aqua faba for the egg whites...I'm going to use xanthan gum and baking powder...
...for the vegan egg yolks...I'm using besan (garbanzo bean flour)...
...add the mashed up vegan lox...
...and bake at 375° for about 35 minutes...(176° C)...
...like before while it was cooking it poufed up considerably...above the rim and looked very souffle-like...but then it sort of fell...a problem I've had before with vegan souffles...
...it tasted just fine...like a fish-y moist muffin...
...so again...not really a souffle success...but I'll keep trying...

Substitutions:
Vegan Lox for the Salmon
Besan for the egg yolks
Xanthan gum and Baking Powder for the egg whites

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 166-167

No comments:

Post a Comment