I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Vegan Gratin d'Endives

[Vegan Gratin of Endive with Ham]
...y'all saw this endive in the grocery shop for the weekend...and it was expensive at $5.99 per pound...Julia even says in her introductory paragrah that endive is very expensive...but you remove the outer leaves and cut off the stem...
...and then you braise it in vegan butter...VEGAN ENDIVES À LA FLAMANDE
...wrap it in vegan ham...
...and smother it in vegan bechamel...
...sprinkle on some vegan cheese...
...and bake...
...we served it with Bryanna's Breast of Tofu, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and a handful of little yellow tomatoes...
...well...it was good...creamy and savory...it made a nice accompaniment to the meal...

Substitutions

VEGAN SAUCE BÉCHAMEL/SAUCE VELOUTÉ
Vegan Ham

recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 156...

1 comment:

  1. I thought I had already commented on this post....I don't believe I have ever eaten an endive.....honestly looks like a lot of trouble for what it's worth....but I know you are on a "mission". Love, K

    ReplyDelete