I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Vegan Frittons/Grattons

[Vegan Goose Cracklings]

...Julia says that these cracklings can be pounded in a mortar and covered in goose fat and used as a spread...which sounds pretty yucky to me...haha...we're just going to eat ours as a snack...
...I'm using rice paper for the 'cracklings'...and a deep fryer...but I'm sure you can do this just in a pot of hot oil...
...I just broke the rice paper into bite-sized little pieces...
...then for the 'goose' flavoring...I'm using some vegan chicken powder...some mushroom powder...and a little bit of marmite...
...and then I went ahead and put that into a little sieve...because I want it to be ready to sprinkle over the grattons as soon as they come out of the fryer...
...I just ground all that up together in my mortar and pestle...
...because...the frying takes about 2 seconds...
...and you get these crispy little poufs...
...so I sprinkled the flavoring over the top while they were still hot...
...and they are yummy little crispy treats...
...just to eat out of hand as a snack...
...these were really good...I've never made fried rice paper poufs like this before...but you could definitely flavor them up any way you want...

Substitutions:

none...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 282

3 comments:

  1. Interesting process. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well! That's neat! I've never cooked anything like that before. And yes, cracklings covered in goose fat sounds truly terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make mine in the microwave, it works well too :)

    ReplyDelete