I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS

[Oeufs Brouillées]

...this is one of those odd recipes that has the title in English and the subtitle in French...but Julia describes the French scrambled eggs and barely able to hold their shape...and custard-like and creamy...which doesn't really sound all that good to me...even when I ate scrambled eggs, I ate them well done...

...and I was surprised that I had not already done this recipe as well...
...so I gathered some ingredients to make vegan scramble-able eggs...tofu, besan, nutritional yeast and vegan chicken brouillon...
...and added a couple more not so typical ones...Kala Namak (sulphur-y tasting salt), and tapioca starch for a little bit of gumminess...and blended that all up in the food processor...
...melted some vegan butter...
...and poured in the vegan egg mixture...
...Julia says that the creaminess of French eggs comes from stirring the eggs over gentle heat until they slowly thicken...so that's what I'm trying to do as well...
...and there you have it...creamy and thick vegan eggs...pretty simple to execute...but it does take a while...

Substitutions:

Vegan Butter - we used Earth Balance

...for the Vegan Egg

1 box silken tofu
1/4 cup almond milk
3 T Besan powder
2 T nutritional yeast
1 t tapioca starch
1/2 t Kala Namak
1 t Vegan Chicken broth powder

blend together

...recipe at Mastering the Art of French Cooking....(p. 125)

2 comments:

  1. Looks complicated...I do remember you refusing any "squishy" eggs as a child....love K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you! I do not like the idea of custard- like creamy (wet) eggs. But I love seeing how you veganize recipes.

    ReplyDelete