I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Vegan Sauce Diable

[Vegan Peppery Brown Sauce]

...Julia says that this sauce is a composed sauce...made with previous brown sauces...she says this spicy one is for broiled chicken, roast or braised port, pork chops, or hot meat leftovers...which is exactly what we used it for...leftovers...
...you start with some shallots...but I used a couple of tablespoons of yellow onion as I didn't have any shallots...
...and you cook those for a couple of minutes without browning them...
...then add some white wine
...and quickly boil that down to just a few tablespoons...
...and then add your brown sauce...I used the VEGAN JUS LIÉ...

...Julia doesn't give ammounts for the Black Pepper and Cayenne...but says to season with enough pepper to give it a spicy taste...
...finish with vegan butter just before serving...
...and parsley...
...we had our sauce with leftover seitan...
...and mashed potatoes...
...it was good...and a good accompaniment to the leftovers...transforming them into something completely different...

...however...it was too spicy for me...and I have no one but myself to blame...I simply put in too much pepper...so be careful if you don't like it very spicy...

Substitutions:

Vegan Butter for the Butter
Vegan subs from the VEGAN JUS LIÉ...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 71-72)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have the problem of too much pepper - often when I've just opened a new jar of black pepper. Sometimes the fresh pepper is SO much stronger! Love, K

    ReplyDelete