I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

VEGAN CRÈME AU BEURRE, MÉNAGÈRE

[Vegan Butter Cream I—with powdered sugar]

...Julia recommends using an electric mixer for this recipe...

...the recipe calls for egg yolks...but I thought that sounded pretty gross...and just subbed a few spoonfuls of almond milk...but if you like the flavor of egg yolks you could use Vegan Egg...or flax see goo with a bit of kala namak...but I didn't...

...and there's a funny thing about reading recipes...the recipe calls for 2 squares of baking chocolate...
...so I melted two squares of chocolate...and I thought...hmmnnn...that doesn't look like a lot of chocolate...
...but I blended it up with my vegan butter and powdered sugar...and it was predictably pretty lightly coloured...and not very chocolate-y tasting...
...so I re-read the recipe...and it does say 2 squares...but it also says 2 ounces...well...my block of chocolate is only 4 ounces...so I should have added half the bar...not just 2 squares...
...then you're supposed to put it in the fridge to chill a bit...
...but I wish I hadn't done that as it made it kind of difficult to spread...mine got a little bit too stiff...
...but a little time and room temperature and it iced the cake perfectly...
...and it was perfectly delicious...rich and chocolate-y...

Substitutions:

Vegan Butter for the Butter
2 Tbs almond milk for each egg... Vegan baking chocolate...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 681)

No comments:

Post a Comment