I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

VEGAN POUDING ALSACIEN

[Gratin of Sautéed Apples - a cold dessert]

...remember all those Golden Delicious Apples I showed you on Friday...I bought those for this recipe...as Julia said it's best with Goldens...

...she lists this as a cold dessert also says this recipe is best the next day because it needs a slow blending of flavors...but...do you think we waited...no...of course not...
...I peeled the goldens...but I didn't need all of them...
...sliced them thinly and sautéed them in some Earth Balance...
...cooked apples are pretty fragile...so I was trying to be very careful turning them...
...until they are lightly browned...
...press some plum jam through a sieve...
...and add some rum...we used Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum...
...and then Julia says to gently toss the cooked apples in the sieved plum jam...but I just kind of spooned it over and spread it around...as my apples were much to fragile to be tossed...they would have just been mush if I'd done that...
...then you mix up the batter...like a fluffy pancake batter sort of...I used whipped aquafaba for the egg whites...and then you add fresh whole wheat bread crumbs and cinnamon to the batter...
...spread that over the apples and bake...
...we had ours still warm from the oven...and as I said before...we did not wait until the next day...but it may be better tomorrow...
...served with a dollop of whipped coconut cream...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for Butter
Aquafaba for the egg whites

Recipe here: Scribd and then search for Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 626 - 627)

3 comments:

  1. Like parkin, supposed to wait a week before eating that! The rare occasions my grandma made it she did it in secret so it would get the resting time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that looks good!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete