I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Friday, February 11, 2011

VEGAN CHOU-FLEUR BLANCHI

[Vegan Blanched Cauliflower - Preliminary Cooking]


...I love cauliflower...I really do...so I'm amazed that we don't have it all that often...but through the majority of the year fresh cauliflower is not available in the grocery store here...so when I found this in the organic section I snatched it up...

...cut off the green leaves at the bottom...but save those as you'll be reassembling the cauliflower later...

...cut into florets...

...drop into boiling water and bring back to the boil...

...Julia has you add a cup of milk to keep the cauliflower nice and white - I added almond milk...

...it's done when a knife pierces the stem easily but "with the merest suggestion of crunchiness at the core"...

...drain in a colander...

...Julia says that this step is 'not necessary, of course,'...'but it makes an attractive presentation'... - rearrange the florets in the shape of the cauliflower...

...put the cooked stems on top and invert it on a warm round bowl...

...pretty...n'est ce pas?...

...we served it with Sauce à la Crème...very good...

Substitutions: only almond milk for the milk

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 457-458

1 comment: