I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

VEGAN ÉPINARDS À LA BASQUAISE

[Vegan Gratin of Spinach and Sliced Potatoes with Anchovies]

...I was a little skeptical of this dish...as I am of most things that have anchovies in them...
...you braise the spinach in vegan stock...we used Washingtons...
...and you know spinach...it cooks down considerably...
...and you stir some vegan cheese into the braised spinach...we used Violife...
...slice the potatoes thin and cook in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes...
...butter your baking dish with vegan butter...
...for the mashed anchovies...I used capers and nori...
...and just mashed it together in my mortar and pestle...
...then you layer the potatoes in the baking dish...
...and the mashed vegan anchovy mixture...and the spinach and cheese...
...and top with bread crumbs...
...and then bake it for about 30 minutes...
...we served it with vegan meatloaf and a salad...
...it was surprisingly good...I was afraid that the fish-y flavor wouldn't go well with the spinach...but it was really a nice cheeze-y casserole...

Substitutions:
Capers and Nori for the anchovies
Earth Balance for the butter
Vegan Cheese...we used Violife

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 474-475

No comments:

Post a Comment