I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Vegan Boeuf à la Catalane

[Vegan Beef Stew with Rice, Onions, and Tomatoes]

...Julia says "Here is a hearty dish from the Spanish-Mediterranean corner of France. Serve it with a green salad, French bread, and a strong, young red wine."

...I had actually intended to make the vegan lamb version of this dish first (Pilaf de Mouton à la Catalane Lamb or Mutton Stew with Rice, Onions, and Tomatoes)...while I still had some vegan lamb...but this is the master recipe...so...
...I gathered the ingredients...the can of tomatoes is only there in case I don't have enough of the fresh ones...
...you start by frying some bacon...I used bacon bits...
...and then you remove that to a casserole...but I just put it onto a small plate...because I'll be removing the handle from my pot and putting that into the oven...
...then you brown your vegan boeuf...I'm just using Gardein here...
...then brown your onions...
...and remove them...
...then stir your rice in the same pot...until translucent...
...I did this next bit a little bit out of order...put the vegan beef back to the pot and added some thyme...
...and some saffron...I don't use saffron a lot and this is nearing it's expire date...so I'm happy to have a recipe to use it up...
...add a crumbled bay leaf...
...add the stock and the wine...I used a shiraz...because that's what we had on hand...and I think it makes a good 'cooking wine'...
...add the chopped tomatoes...I wound up not needing the canned tomatoes...
...add the rice...vegan bacon and onions back to the pot (casserole)...
...then I just push the red button to remove the handle...and this pot becomes a casserole...
...then into the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (per the recipe)...but we only had ours in the oven for about 45 minutes...and most of the liquid was absorbed and it was 'done'...
...and it was perfectly cooked...
...Julia says to "delicately fold the vegan cheese into the casserole"...I just grated it on top...(Violife)
...this was a really delicious and fairly easy casserole...and really was just the one pot...

Substitutions:
Vegan beef - we used Gardein
Vegan beef stock - we used Washingtons Brown


Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 321-322

1 comment:

  1. Looks tasty! Yay, for some reason Google is letting me comment on your posts today. Love, K

    ReplyDelete