I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

VEGAN PISSALADIÈRE NIÇOISE

[Vegan Onion Tart with Vegan Anchovies and Black Olives]

Julia says..."This is not a quiche, properly speaking, because it contains no eggs..."but it is in the section of the cookbook with all of the quiches...

...I spent a few weeks in the south of France...and I never heard of this dish...of course...it could have been offered to me and I was like eeeuuuwww...non merci...haha...sometimes called Provençal Pissaladière - The etymology of the word seems to originate from the Latin piscis "fish", which in turn originated pissalat, the name of an anchovy paste...
...first...you cook the onions very slowly in the olive oil with the herb bouquet, garlic, and salt for about 1 hour, or until very tender...a really long time...and the weirdest thing is there is a pinch of powdered cloves in there...I thought that was an odd flavor to add to this savory dish...
...I'm using capers as a vegan sub for the anchovies...and black olives...of course...
...when the onions are finally done...spread them onto your prepared crust...I saw images of this crust as more like a pizza dough...but I just made a VEGAN PÂTE BRISÉE for a regular pie crust...
...so you just spread a layer of onions over the crust...
...add you vegan anchovies...i.e. capers...
...Julia says to "Arrange anchovy filets over it in a fan-shaped design. Place the olives at decorative intervals..."
...then you give it a drizzle of olive oil and bake it...
...we had ours with a salad and green beans...
...it's an interesting dish...haha...still not sure about the cloves...the onions are very sweet so there's a nice contrast with the salitiness of the olives and capers...

Substitutions

subs for theVEGAN PÂTE BRISÉE
capers for the anchovies...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 151)

1 comment:

  1. That's a sortof weird dish! Looks pretty good though...love, K

    ReplyDelete