I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Vegan Gratin de Pommes de Terre et Saucisson

[Vegan Gratin of Potatoes, Onions, and Sausages]

...this is just a variation of the VEGAN GRATIN DE POMMES DE TERRE AUX ANCHOIS...
...so first mince some onion...
...and then...as you often do...cook it until it is translucent but not browned...now sure why Julia almost always says this...I actually like a bit of browning on my onions...oh well...
...grease your casserole...I used Earth Balance...
...then layer your potatoes, onions and vegan sausage in the casserole...I used Field Roast vegan sausage...
...ending with a layer of potatoes...
...make a vegan Bechamel sauce...
...and pour that over the potatoes...
...I got some Chao vegan cheese out of the freezer and used that...but Julia calls for vegan swiss cheese...
...baked until bubbly and browned...
...we served it simply with some homemade collard greens...
...it was really creamy and good...perfect comfort food...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for butter
Field Roast Sausage
VEGAN SAUCE BÉCHAMEL/SAUCE VELOUTÉ

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 155

1 comment:

  1. It does look like comfort food! I agree, go on and brown the onions...it adds a sweet flavor. Love, K

    ReplyDelete