I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Vegan Fricassée de Poulet Sauté à l'Estragon

[Vegan Tarragon Sauce]

...all Julia says about this recipe is to "Add the tarragon to the wine and stock for the simmering of the chicken...so you're really following the recipe for the VEGAN FRICASSÉE DE POULET À L'ANCIENNE...and just adding tarragon to the sauce...
...starting with a mirepoix...celery...onion...and carrots...
...and get that sautéeing in some Earth Balance...
...I'm using the Washed Flour Seitan...but I used tofu for the master recipe...
...Julia says to cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes - until they are almost tender but not browned...then push them to one side and add the seitan...
...and turn it every minute for 3 or 4 minutes...
...then you take the seitan out and coat it with flour...
...return it to the pan and cook it slowly...
...turning once...
...I only have dried tarragon...Julia suggests fresh but says you can use 2 teaspoons of dried tarragon instead...
...I put it into my teaball...Julia ties hers up in cheesecloth...
...then you add some broth...I mixed up some vegan chicken flavored broth...
...poured that over...
...cover and simmer...
...I'm only using cream...but you can also add some vegan egg if you want...
...we served it with mashed potatoes...glazed carrots...and steamed broccoli...
...it looks and smells delicious...
...and tastes that way too...if you like tarragon...if not...I'd suggest using one of the other flavoring variations...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for Butter
Vegan Cream for the Cream
Washed Flour Seitan for the Chicken
Vegan Chicken Bouillon for the Chicken Stock

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 262

1 comment: