I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Vegan Cold Braised Beef

[Vegan Cold Braised Beef]

...Julia says that the VEGAN BOEUF À LA MODE "Cold Braised Beef may also be served as a salad"...

...now when I made this the first time...I used the TVP beef chunks that I used to be able to get at the SDA store...but this time ...I used seitan...for the vegan braised beef...and I did not make the carrot and onion garnish...as it's going on top of a salad...
...just slice the cold vegan braised beef very thinly...and top a salad with it...
...I just mixed up a simple dijon vinaigrette...
...it made a delicious lunch...and it would be really good in the heat of summer too...as a nice refreshing cold lunch...

Substitutions:
Vegan beef of some sort...we used seitan but you could sub TVP or some other prepared vegan beef...or even firm tofu...
Vegan red wine
Vegan broth

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 312-313

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that it's served cold....love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I've had cold chxn on salad, and cold tofu...but I never thought about cold seitan. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete