I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Vegan Poulet Rôti à la Normande

[Vegan Roast Chicken Basted with Cream, Herb and Giblet Stuffing]

...Julia calls this a lush combination...and I'd have to agree...it was delicious...

...it's my first time using "Washed Flour" to create the seitan...so if you're interested in that process...hop over to my 'regular' blog...haha...for a detailed explanation of that...
...so...I baked my Washed Flour Seitan into a nice Chick'un Roast...
...and that turned out perfectly...and Julia says you can roast your chick'un either in the oven or on a spit...
...and then she says about 10 minutes before the end of the estimated roasting time to start basting with 2 or 3 tablespoons of cream mixed with brown broth - we used vegan beef bouillon ...every 3 to 4 minutes until the chick'un is done...she says the cream will probably look curdled in the pan, but this will be corrected later...mine did not really end up looking curdled though...
...so while that was roasting I made the stuffing...and I'm not going to cut a chunk out of the seitan like I did before and actually stuff the vegan roast...but you need some giblets...and for that I usually use walnuts...here a combination of English and Black...and some shallots or green onions...
...and then you also need some coarse dry crumbs and she specifies that they be from a homemade type of white bread - which I happen to have...haha...some vegan cream cheese - I used Violife...softened butter - I used Earth Balance...parsley and/or tarragon...and I was going to add a little bit of sage...because...you know...stuffing...but I restrained myself and went with Julia's recipe...haha...
...a little bit of salt and pepper and this stuff tastes amazing...
...and then instead of stuffing my vegan roast...I packed it into little ramekins...and put it into the oven to bake...
...and continued basting the chick'un every 3-4 minutes with the cream...
...and then you take the chick'un out to a platter...and add some more cream and cook that down to make a really simple sauce...
...and pour that over the vegan roast chick'un...
...and you're ready to serve...
...at the table...we also had a little jug with more of the cream sauce for pouring over the slices...it's not a very thick sauce...
...the little perfectly baked ramekins of stuffing...
...slice the vegan roast and spoon over some more sauce...
...everything smells so delicious...
...the Washed Flour Seitan roast has a really good texture...
...I would definitely make this again...everything was really deliciously perfect...and I didn't even miss the sage in my stuffing...

Substitutions:

Cashew cream for the cream
Vegan bouillon for the brown stock
Vegan seitan for the roast - we used Washed Flour Seitan
Vegan butter...we used Earth Balance...
Vegan Cream cheese - we used Violife

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 243-244)

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the sage for stuffing!!! Looks yummy. Love, K

    ReplyDelete