I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

VEGAN CRÈME AU BEURRE, AU SUCRE CUIT

[Vegan Butter Cream II - with sugar syrup]

...this recipe is from the section called THREE BUTTER CREAMS...the first one was the simplest...using powdered sugar...VEGAN CRÈME AU BEURRE, MÉNAGÈRE...

...I must say that this recipe did not turn out anything like what I was expecting...
...which was pretty much this icing...

...when we were first dating and well into our married life...the Man's Mom used to make a boiled chocolate icing...much like this one...it had that crinkly sugary 'crust'...image and recipe here...and in truth it often turned grainy...and it was always spread (or poured) onto a sheet cake and served out of the glass pan it was baked in...not sure why she doesn't make it any more...
...so...based on what I thought I was making...haha...I made the sheet cake to spread it on...using this old recipe for a Golden Layer Cake...I did the two layer version...but it wound up a little bit thin so I probably should have done the three layer version...and I put that in the oven while I proceeded with the recipe...

...then...I creamed the butter...the 'recipe' for Vegan Beurre en Pommade precedes this one...
...then you need 5 vegan egg yolks...and I used about a 1/2 cup of Aquafaba for that...
...and just beat it a little bit until it started to get frothy...
...then...I made the sugar syrup...just sugar and water...and I'm using vegan turbinado sugar and since I'm making chocolate icing that's fine...but if I were making a white icing...I'd use a white sugar...natch...
...and boil that to the soft ball stage...(236° to 238° F - 113°-114° C)...
...I just checked mine on a cool plate...squishy and pliable...
...and then I turned the mixer back on and poured that in...you don't have to be careful like you would with egg yolks...
...and you beat it for 4 to 5 minutes...Julia says the mixture will be light, foamy, doubled in bulk...then you beat in your whipped vegan butter...
...and melt some chocolate...I used bakers semisweet...Julia gives other suggestions as well...kirsch or orange liqueur, or strong coffee, OR, 1 Tb vanilla extract...
...so that's 2 ounces (Julia says 2 squares but in my Baker's block it was 4) melted, semi- sweet, baking chocolate 2 to 4 Tb softened...just melted in a double boiler...
...so I just whipped that into the vegan egg and butter and sugar syrup mixture...
...and here's the surprise...it's a light and creamy sort of whipped frosting...nothing like what I was expecting...
...since it's still a little bit warm...Julia says to put it into a basin of cool water...
...so I just set it into a sinkful of cool water and continued stirring it a little bit...see how nice and creamy it looks...
...so then the cake was ready...it just needed to cool first...
...and then I dolloped on the fluffy frosting...not poured over like I was expecting...
...and just frosted the cake...
...it was so pretty...
...and this is a pretty long and involved recipe...but it really did turn out to be delicious...and nothing like what I was expecting...it was a light fluffy perfectly smooth and creamy frosting...

Substitutions

Vegan Butter for the butter
Aquafaba for the egg yolks

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 681-683

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm surprised that it's not grainy. My cooked frostings always turned out that way. I'm using past tense because it's been AGES since I made a cooked frosting. Looks lovely though. Love, K

    ReplyDelete