I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Vegan Oeufs en Croustades à la Béarnaise

[Vegan Poached Eggs and Mushrooms, Béarnaise Sauce]

...Julia gives no introduction at all for this recipe...it's one of the variations on recipes in the EGGS chapter...

...so the first thing you need are some vegan poached eggs...I've made them several times before...and again...I followed this recipe for the vegan whites...VEGAN OEUFS POCHÉS
...the agar and cornstarch make them stiffen up as they cool...
...but instead of using the potato center for the yolk...like I do for hard boiled vegan eggs...I made Sam's vegan egg yolk...just a little thicker so that it would remain jiggly in the vegan poached egg...
...let the white set up in my big spoon for a sort of egg shape...
...then I scooped out a little divot...
...and filled that with some of the vegan egg yolk...
...and then covered it with another thin layer of the vegan egg white mixture...
...now on to the sauce...mince some shallot or green onion...
...and then mince some mushrooms and wring them out in a clean towel...now...I think you can probably skip that part...as the minced mushrooms don't really need to be that dry for this sauce...IMO...
...saute the mushrooms and the onions together...
...then sprinkle on the flour...
...and then the port...and let that cook for a minute or so...
...then add the vegan cream...this is almond cream...
...and then cook and continue to add the cream...
...until nice and thick...
...then make your croustade of choice...mine is just toast...but Julia also suggest pastry cups if you want to be all fancy like that...
...spoon over some of the sauce...
...then warm the vegan poached egg...
...and add it on top of the croustade/sauce...
...and top with some more sauce...
...and it makes a very pretty dish...
...it would be perfect for a brunch...
...the flavors all go together quite nicely...
...and it was pretty delicious...

Substitutions: Vegan Egg White
Vegan Egg Yolk
...almond cream for the cream...just a thicker version of homemade almond milk...
Earth Balance for the butter

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 120)

5 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. I'll have to show this to Matt. I've never eaten a poached egg in my life, but I wonder if he'd fancy a recreation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth,
      ...you know I don't think I ever had an actual poached egg before either...I never liked the runny eggs...eeeuuuwww...but vegan ones are somehow ok...haha
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. That is pretty complicated! Looks lovely. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...it was...but it was pretty delicious too...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  3. Thanks Éphée!
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete