I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Vegan Sauce aux Câpres

[Caper Sauce]

...I did not grow up eating capers...and I was an adult the first time that I ever had them in a marinara type red sauce at a fancy Italian restaurant...they are the edible flower buds of the Flinders Rose...and they have (to me anyway) an earthy...flowery...almost pine-y flavor...that goes well with spicy/tomato-y things...

...I would not have thought to pair them with a creamy sauce...but Julia throws them into a Sauce Batarde...and says to eat it over 'boiled fish'...which sounds rather horrible...
...the very first thing you do is make a couple of cups of VEGAN SAUCE BÂTARDE (aka) SAUCE AU BEURRE...and I used my cashew cream for the cream this time...
...I got a small jar of capers...just a little too much for this recipe...
...in this little two line recipe...Julia says to beat in the capers...
...before adding the final butter enrichment...
...for the boiled fish...I cut little slits into a slab of extra firm tofu...
...to mimic the flakiness of fish...
...and then boiled it with a piece of nori...
...wrapped around the tofu...it sure smelled fishy enough...
...and looked surprisingly fishy as well...
...see perfectly flaky boiled tofu-fish...
...we had a nice tomato soup for the first course...
...and then just simple peas and potatoes with the sauced boiled tofu-fish...
...the sauce was surprisingly good...
...it was creamy with a little pop of saltiness when you bit into a caper...

...the boys were not fans though...so this sauce probably will not be repeated...but it was good in it's uniqueness...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for the butter
Cashew Cream for the cream in the Sauce Batarde

Recipe here: Scribd and then search for Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 65

No comments:

Post a Comment