I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, March 16, 2015

VEGAN TARTE AU FROMAGE FRAIS

[Cream Cheese Tart - Hot or Cold]

...This was our Pi(e) Day Pie...Julia says that it's very simple to make and that it is really a quiche...

...first you make a sweet short paste...Vegan Pâte Brisée Sucrée...
...then you cream together some vegan cream cheese (we used tofutti)...butter (we used Earth Balance sticks)...and sugar...
...then mix up some vegan 'eggs' I used the recipe for the Vegan Omelettes...and I added just a pinch of turmeric for some yellow colour...but next time...I think I'll use less or leave it out altogether...
...then combine the vegan egg mixture and the cream cheese mixture...and turn it into your partially baked crust...
...and pop it into the oven...
...it sets up nicely...and it is just a bit puffy...Julia says if you serve it cold it will deflate and cannot be repuffed...we just had ours cooled...not warm or cold...
...the only fresh fruit I had in the house were grapes and apples...so I added a few grapes to each plate...
...it was creamy and quiche-like...
...it was delicious...we'll be making it again at some point as there's another version that has prunes in it...

Substitutions:

...all of the substitutions for the vegan short paste...Vegan Pâte Brisée Sucrée...
tofutti cream cheese for the cheese
earth balance for the butter
...and I used the Vegan Omelette mixture for the eggs...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking
pp. 647-648

No comments:

Post a Comment