I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Vegan Ris de Veau Braisés a l’Italienne

[Vegan Braised Sweetbreads with Brown Mushroom Sauce]

...this is another Ris de Veau variation...and I still have a few of my vegan sweetbreads in the freezer...so I got those out...
...and first you make the VEGAN RIS DE VEAU BRAISÉS
...I did this part a little bit out of order...I added the cornstarch and tomato paste before removing the Vegan Ris de Veau...but I don't think it made any difference...
...and you were supposed to remove the vegan sweetbreads and slice them into 1/2 inch strips...and set them aside...
...and you could have done the mushrooms earlier...
...but you just need to slice and sauté the mushrooms...VEGAN CHAMPIGNONS SAUTÉS AU BEURRE...
...then add those back to your sauce and rapidly boil that down...
...correct the seasoning and add your vegan sweetbreads back to the sauce...
...Julia says "Rice or risotto, and buttered peas or creamed or braised spinach go well with sweetbreads..."
...it was a pretty perfect vegan meal...
...I was chatting with my sweet sissie and just mentioned that it's all about the sauce with Julia...it's definitely the sauce that makes this so delicious...

Substitutions

Seitan for the sweetbreads
vegan butter for the butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 411...

1 comment:

  1. That's my big "secret" for great cooking, too. It is all about the sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete