I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

VEGAN GRATIN AUX FRUITS DE MER

[Vegan Gratin of Creamed Salmon or Other Fish]

Julia says..."A quick and delicious main-course dish can be made by combining a good cream sauce with canned salmon, tuna, or clams"....

...and I happened to have some vegan canned tuna hanging around in the freezer that I wanted to use up...
...I double bagged it and labeled it...so hoping it's still good...it's been in there a while...
...as you often do with Julia...cook the onions until tender but not browned...
...then stir in the flour...and also cook for a couple of minutes without 'colouring'...
...then stir in the boiling vegan milk...I used almond milk...
...and the wine...

...then Julia says to boil for several minutes to evaporate the alcohol in the wine, and allow the sauce to thicken considerably...
...which is odd...because then you thin it with a couple of spoonfuls of vegan cream...I used cashew cream...
...then you add salt, pepper and oregano...
...and then you 'fold in' the vegan tuna...I thought folding was a term used for fluffy aqua faba...not for a cream sauce...but I folded it in...maybe it's so you don't break up the delicate vegan fish...
...then you spread in baking dish or pastry shell...
...sprinkle on the vegan cheese...
... and distribute the vegan butter in pea-sized dots...
...and then bake in upper third of preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until top is nicely browned...
...I wasn't really sure how to serve this dish...but we had it over toast...like you would have vegan chipped beef...
...and it was OK...not bad...I don't think I would have ever liked any type of tuna casserole back in the day when they were popular so this is not something I'll make again...

Substitutions:
Vegan milk for the milk...I used unsweetened almond milk...
Vegan cream for the cream...I just used cashew cream...
Vegan canned Tuna
Earth Balance for the butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 156-157

No comments:

Post a Comment