I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

VEGAN MOUSSE DE FOIES DE VOLAILLE

[Vegan Chicken Liver Mousse] ...Julia says to pack into a decorative jar and used as a spread for cocktail appetizers...
...start with some finely minced shallots...and sautee them for 2-3 minutes...
...the to make the vegan liver...I'm using walnuts...
...and lentils again like I did in the timbale recipe...
...they are mildly flavored...you'll need some vegan cream...but set it aside...and I added the salt, allspice, pepper, and a pinch of thyme to the lentil/walnut mixture...along with the Madeira...
...once the lentils are done...Julia says to add the mixture to a blender...but I'm going to use my stick blender...it's just less messy...
...add some vegan butter...
...and the vegan cream...
...and then just blend everything up...
...until it's nice and smooth...
...then Julia says to pack it into a pretty jar...and I had saved this Bonne Maman jelly jar...I love those...they always remind me of my time in France...
...so...I packed it in there...and put it into the fridge to chill...
...and then we fixed a platter of crudites and different kinds of crackers and pretzels and put the jar of mousse in the center...
...it was a really delicious snack...I liked it with all of the different things...but probably my favorite was just the simple saltine...

Substitutions:
...vegan butter...we used the new Blue Bonnet Plant Based...
...vegan liver...we used lentils and walnuts for that
...vegan cream...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 559-560

1 comment:

  1. I must admit that doesn't look very appetizing....but I guess the non-vegan version doesn't either! Sounds good though, sort of like hummus. Love, K

    ReplyDelete