I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

VEGAN CRÊPES FOURRÉES ET FLAMBÉES

[Vegan Crêpes with Orange-almond Butter, Flambées]

...this is really similar to the VEGAN CRÊPES SUZETTE...just with the addition of some almonds to the orange butter...
...so first you'll need some crêpes...of course...
...Julia says you can choose which crêpe recipe to use...
...I used the VEGAN CRÊPES À LA LEVURE...
...Julia says it's the best for stuffing...
...and they brown up so nicely...
...make a bunch and let them cool a bit...
...then make the same orange butter as for the VEGAN CRÊPES SUZETTE...
...then I blanched and pulverized some almonds in my old coffee grinder...
...if you're going to use the almond extract...I'd suggest a smaller amount that the 1/4 teaspoon...maybe half of that...or just a few drops...unless you really really like a strong almond flavor...as I found 1/4 teaspoon to be too strong...
...add your pulverized almonds...
...and make a paste...
...and spread that on the crêpes...
...Julia says you can fold them...form them into wedges or roll them...arrange in a baking dish and sprinkle with sugar...
...bake them for about 15 minutes or so...
...until the sugar starts to carmelize...
...pour over the warmed cognac...
...and then flambée them at the table...or bring them to the table flaming...which I thought would be a lot more difficult...
...and of course they were delicious...

Substitutions:
Vegan Butter...we used Earth Balance...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 651-652

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That both looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, almond flavoring is often much too strong! Cool that you lit it afire! And I enjoyed the "water feature" in the background. Love, K

    ReplyDelete