I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Vegan Sauce Aïoli

[Vegan Provençal Garlic Mayonnaise]

...I was actually surprised when I checked my spreadsheet and saw that I had not completed this recipe yet...because it just sounds like something so good that I would love...

...but then you read the directions...and think...hmmmnnn...maybe I'll just make my regular quick and easy mayo instead...haha...

...Julia says this goes well with fish...especially cod...so I made some vegan tofu fish...by just baking tofu with some nori in the oven...

...I thought several things about this recipe were kind of odd...the soaked bread for one...and the fish stock...which is ok if you're serving this with vegan fish...but thought it would be odd with potatoes...another one of Julia's suggestions...
...so let's jump into the recipe...take some white bread and soak it in milk...
...I used almond milk...but Julia says you can also use vinegar...
...I got some frozen aqua faba to sub for the egg yolk and our big tub of minced garlic...
...after the bread has soaked for a few minutes...you take it out and twist it up in a kitchen towel to remove the milk...then you add that to the garlic and aqua faba in the mortar and pestle...
...and 'pound' it for at least 5 minutes...my mortar and pestle is ceramic...so I more or less swirled it around...
...until it was completely smooth...
...and then you need a few spoonfuls of vegan fish stock...so I just boiled some water and poured it over a piece of a nori sheet...
...and then you need a wire whip and some good olive oil...
...and then you just make the mayonnaise the regular way...drops of olive oil whisked in and thinned with the vegan fish stock...
...Julia says it should remain thick enough to hold it's shape on a spoon...

...it was really good...and garlic-y...you could use it for anything really...just as a sandwich spread...or as the base for a salad dressing would be good too...
...that's probably how I'll use the leftover Vegan Sauce Aïoli...just stir in some herbs and I'll have a nice garlic-y salad dressing...

Substitutions

Almond Milk for the milk
aqua faba for the egg yolk
nori sheet soaked in water for the fish stock

Recipe here...Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 92-93)

2 comments:

  1. That does look nice and rich.

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. like it! ive seen korean making the same.
    open the link for recipe.

    일산오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐일산마사지⟐일산안마⟐일산유흥⟐일산휴게텔⟐일산풀싸롱⟐일산키스방⟐일산건마⟐일산리얼돌⟐일산출장안마⟐일산룸싸롱⟐일산OP

    ReplyDelete