I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Vegan Sauce Périgueux

[Vegan Brown Madeira Sauce with Truffles]

...this sauce is named after Périgueux, a city in the Périgord region of Southwest France that is noted for its truffles...Julia says it goes well with Filet of Beef...
...I do have a really good recipe for Vegan Filet of Beef...that recipe came from A Vegan For Dinner....and there's a link in the post...sadly that blog no longer exists...but you can paste it into the Wayback Machine and you should still be able to see it...if you can't get it...just send me an email (there's a little contact Affectioknit button in the sidebar) and I'll send it to you...
...I just microwaved those...so I really took the easy way...
...but the star of the show (if you want to call it that) is the truffle...I ordered these specifically for this recipe...
...opened the jar...they have quite a funky smell...
...and I've heard them compared to mushrooms...but I don't think they smell anything like mushrooms...and the texture is really unique as well...
...the recipe calls for diced truffles...
...first you need to make the Vegan Sauce Madère...Vegan Sauce au Porto...it's not difficult...
...and then you just add the liquid from the jar of truffles...
...and the diced truffle...
...and there you have it...served over the Vegan Beef Tips...with rice and green beans on the side...
...it was not a difficult recipe...but...the thing is...I don't think I like truffles...at...all...I'm sure if you do...this is a good recipe...the Madeira sauce by itself is certainly tasty...but the truffle...not so much...

Substitutions

Washington's Brown Seasoning and Broth for the stock

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 75)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I've never had truffles....and you are pretty tolerant of flavors, so I suspect they might not be a favorite of mine either! Nice that you're adventuresome! Love, K

    ReplyDelete