I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

VEGAN FROZEN PEAS

...way back in 1961 when MtAoFC was published...frozen foods were probably not used that often in fancy cooking...but the ever down-to-earth Julia includes several "frozen foods" recipes...including one for frozen artichoke bottoms...which I have yet to find in ANY freezer section...

...I have already made Julia's recipe for Canned Peas...and I was surprised that I hadn't done the frozen peas one yet...as we often have frozen peas...
...you start with a tablespoon of shallots or green onions...
...add that along with some vegan chick'n stock, salt, pepper, and vegan butter to a pan...and bring it to a boil...
...the recipe is for 10 ounces of peas...and I have a 2 lb bag...like I said we often have frozen peas...
...so I weighed out 10 ounces...
...add those to the boiling broth...
...cover and boil slowly for 5-6 minutes...then uncover and rapidly boil off any remaining liquid...
...they were simple and delicious...better than the microwave version that I usually make...

Substitutions:

Earth Balance for the butter...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 466)

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I wouldn't have thought she would have bothered with a recipe for this!

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete