I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Vegan Sauce aux Anchois

[Vegan Anchovy Sauce]

...this is just the VEGAN SAUCE BÉCHAMEL/SAUCE VELOUTÉ with the addition of anchovy paste...
...I used capers for the paste...and then nori for the taste of the sea...
...ground a couple of spoonfuls of capers into a paste in my mortar and pestle...
...and added that with some nori to the bechamel...

...Julia did not say to strain the sauce...I thought about it...but just left it as it was with the little bits of nori and capers still visible...
...and we served it over plain baked tofu as Julia says it's the accompaniment to boiled fish...or boiled potatoes...which both sounded kinda bland...

...it was very good...and really perked up the plain tofu...

Substitutions:

Vegan Butter for the Butter
Soymilk (homemade) for the milk
Nori and Capres for the Anchovies

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 65)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting flavor - I don't normally associate fish flavors with creamy flavors.

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like ideas of what to substitute for anchovies - I need more capers in my life! Your dinner looks delicious

    ReplyDelete